Student Dress Code
The local school and the District reserve the right to modify this policy as necessary and reserve the right to determine what might be disruptive and unsafe. The following paragraphs regarding the Student Dress Code shall apply to Indian River School District in-school activities, music programs, awards ceremonies, and banquets:
Clothing and accessories worn by students are expected to respect the value of our schools and district as a student-centered community. Therefore, IRSD students are not permitted to wear clothing that is transparent, exposes the midriff/naval area, cleavage or posterior regions.
- Students shall be required to follow dress standards to prevent hazards or dangers in areas such as recess, shop, labs and/or physical education class.
- Shirts, tops, blouses, and dresses must either have sleeves or must cover the area from neckline to shoulder. The length of the skirts, skorts, culottes, jumpers, shorts and dresses must be worn at or below the mid-thigh area while the student is standing.
- Clothing shall have no holes that expose skin above the kneecap.
- No headgear may be worn in the building. This includes, but not limited to, hats, hoods and/or other types of head coverings.
- Clothing with printing across the buttocks area shall be prohibited. Leggings/tights, form fitting stretch pants, or yoga pants worn as pants , must be worn with a dress or, other garment covering the area to the mid-thigh region.
- Wearing apparel, footwear, or other accoutrements usually associated with a person’s dress must not be obscene, vulgar, nor ethnically, culturally, or sexually offensive. Sacrilegious prints, gang-related identification, apparel, or paraphernalia, suggestions of violence, drug or alcohol use, illegal activities and/or graffiti may not be worn or displayed.
- Clothing designed to be worn as undergarments may not be visible. Pants must be affixed at the appropriate waistline. Pants worn below the waist to the extent that the undergarment and/or skin is or could be exposed are not permitted in school.
Exception to this policy may be granted in discretion of school administration with approved documentation for a bona fide reason.